Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.
~D.H. Lawrence

There are many times through out a day that this poem floats
through my mind. Working with animals on a daily basis proves it to
me time and time, again. When I was a vet tech, I would see
animals come in with limbs ripped off and not once would they
complain or cry out. That level of quiet strength is something that I
just don't feel humans are capable of. I know that I certainly
don't have this trait, as I start to feel more and more
sorrow *insert self pity here* as we draw
closer to Halloween.

***History Note: My mother died at 9:10 pm October 31st 2006
after a vicious battle with breast cancer. In her last days
she was incoherent and a shell of the amazing person that she
was, of course she was a people pleaser and such a loving mother
that she refused to pass until I told her it was okay to go
and I left the room. Within minutes she was gone.***

I used to love Halloween. The ability to put on a mask, be
someone else, have a blast with friends, and to top it off
with candy! (The Pagan in me adores it.)
But now it is a highly advertised reminder that no one is
safe, mind numbing sorrow is lurking around every
corner, and that I am one parent away from being an orphan.

Now if I was devoid of pity, these things wouldn't plague me the
same way, it would be a fact in
the circle of life. The pain of losing my super
hero, the light in my darkness, the only person
on this planet that I could talk to and never be judged,
or afraid what they thought of me - all
those things that a Mother is....gone.

For this I have pity and it consumes me.
Oh to be a wild thing that never felt sorry for itself!

***Okay I'm done with my over the moon, pity party!
If you feel the need to throw your head
back and howl, go ahead! I do. Lamenting with
humour is far better for the soul. Oh and if
you need to borrow balloons for your own pity party let me
know and I will send mine to you, as
I'm done with them for now!***

1 comment:

Kim and Dan said...

I had my pity party for the year last may after Vito died and as you know I had a ton of other stuff going on so I say party on it's ok once in a while as long as its not to often or for to long.
P.S if you suck the helium out of those party balloons its kinda fun. Tehe (high pitch voice)

Kim